On this page, we’ll walk you through the basics of creating and publishing an event. Once you understand the general steps, you’ll want to read Event Date, Description, Etc. That page will explain the types of information you can provide to your audience about your event. For example, including document attachments in the description, adding an event image, presenters, and Q&As.
Create Your Event
1. From the dashboard, select Events on the left menu and choose All Events. This will bring up a list of already created events.
2. Click the + icon in the top right of the listings page.
3. Fill in the fields of the New Event Form.
The name people will see for your event, e.g. Campus Tour.
Make it a Zoom
Toggling this option will enable you to integrate your Zoom account to create a virtual event under the Date section.
What sort of event is this? E.g. lecture, film, social. If what you’re looking for isn’t on the list, you can customize the options in Event Settings.
What topical category does this event fit into? For example, is it geared towards an undergraduate admissions audience or maybe it’s about health and wellness. Choose one or more categories. Like Event Type, you can add and manage choices in your event site settings.
Who should be able to see the event online? Set the event to private if you only want people with a link to see it (e.g. an event just for admitted students). Set it to public if anyone should be able to find it online. Note: If you create a private event you will need to include the event URL when you send an invitation.
Have limited space or need to know who and how many people will attend? Turn this on to include a customizable registration form to gather information from your attendees. See Add a Signup Form for more information on customizing registration forms.
4. Click Create Event. You’re all set with the first part of creating your event! Remember that your event is not yet published and there’s still information to enter. The next steps will explain how to do that.
5. On the Event Overview tab, you’ll find various sections of information you can provide to your audience, e.g. description, date. Complete these sections. See Event Date, Description, Etc. for additional details about filling in this information.
6. If your event requires registration, go to the Signups tab. The signup form has a few standard questions such as first name, last name, email address, and cell phone number. If you have an existing events sign-up template, you may choose it from the template list. Alternatively, you can add fields to the signup form. To work from an existing form template, choose a form that’s already been created. To build a new form, select New Form. Add or modify the fields attendees should fill in. You can make fields required or not. Add a Signup Form has additional instructions and information about creating and managing these forms.
This is an example of what the registration form will look like to site visitors.
Note: Once people sign up, their names will be visible in the Attendee tab. Manually added people will also appear in that tab. See Manage Attendee List to learn how to add and manage attendee lists.
7. Payment: If payment is required, scroll down on the Signups tab and make payment active and enter the payment details. If payment isn’t required, leave it inactive.
8. Ready to publish or have others review the event? Near the event title, open the dropdown that says Draft. You have a few options:
Your event is not visible to anyone. You can edit away until you’re finished.
Select this if you want your team to know your event is ready for approval. It won’t be published, but your team will know it’s almost ready.
Choose this to make your event visible online. If it is a public event, it will show on the main page of your event site. If it's private, people will need the exact URL to see your event.
Note: Even if people have the URL for an event, no details will be shown unless the event is "published.”
To preview your event before publishing it, set the event privacy to Private and the published status to Published. You will be able to preview your event using the preview icon on the upper right of the screen.
9. Edit as needed. If you need to make any changes, go to All Events, find, and select your event. Your updates will be made live as you make them. Keep in mind that if your event is published, especially if it has attendees signed up, be cautious if changing the event date. Read more about that in Event Date, Description, Etc.